Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pao Xiang Bak Kut Teh @ Setapak

Rating:
  • Food (1-10): 6
  • Price (1-10): 7
  • Environment (1-10): 7
25 September 2011: Pao Xiang Bak Kut Teh (宝香绑线肉骨茶) specializes in string tied bak kut teh. It comes with very little soup, which looks more like the sauce. The soup/sauce is supposed to be concentrated bak kut teh. However, after trying Pao Xiang Bak Kut Teh in Mid Valley Megamall, I concluded that I do not enjoy this type of bak kut teh. I prefer those with more soup.

Anyway, I decided to give it another try at a different branch. It was 2pm on a Sunday yet the restaurant is less than 10% occupied.

Here are what we had...

  • Luan Kut (软骨), Sui Kut (小骨), Ka Wan (脚弯) (RM10.50++ per bowl) -> I can't really differentiate which is which. They taste the same. The main difference is the type of meat, either it's with less fat or more fat, less bone or more bone. As for the taste, they are almost tasteless. The soup/sauce which is supposed to be concentrated bak kut teh is also very plain. I would say this is the worst bak kut teh I have ever tried. A staff there told us honestly that the soup is obtained from the HQ in Klang. Then each individual branch/franchise will add water into the soup. The amount of water added into the soup directly affects the taste of the soup.
  • Tau Fu Pok (豆腐卜) (RM5++) -> Similar to the meat, this is almost tasteless as well.
  • Yau Mak (油麦) (RM8.50++) -> Average.
  • Yau Char Guai (油条) (RM4++) -> Ironically, this is the best dish of all, even though it is just average. Not crispy enough.
After this meal, I told myself that I won't give Pao Xiang Bak Kut Teh another chance. Here's the location and contact of Pao Xiang Bak Kut Teh @ Setapak...
Address: 209, Ground Floor, Jalan Genting Klang, 53300 Setapak, Kuala Lumpur.
GPS Coordinates: 3.194970, 101.712313


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment